We Really ARE What We Wear: How The Psychology of Fashion Influences Consumer Behavior
People buy products because of what they mean, not because of what they do.
That insight is crucial for any consumer-facing industry. Customers literally choose from thousands of options—and most of them have very little to do with functionality. However, that doesn’t make these decisions unimportant by any means. The selection of a watch, a bracelet, a pair of glasses, or many other items reflects deep-seated values and beliefs about appearance and the consumer’s identity. Think of the body as a canvas, where the shopper chooses from a “palette” of accessory items, apparel, footwear, cosmetics, and other products to paint a picture s/he wants the world to see at a fixed moment in time. Fashion marketers need to dig deeper if they want to sync their offerings with what their customers seek.
In this cast, Michael look at some of the powerful cultural forces that drive fashion statements. Then he’ll focus on the individual consumer and her motivations to buy. He will examine some of the important factors that influence what that “self-portrait” looks like, including feelings about the body, peer pressure, celebrity endorsements, and the messages the culture sends about what men and women need to look like. Finally, Michael will also consider how new technologies such as social media communities, wearable computing, and augmented reality will color this picture in the near future.
Industries: Retail, financial services, hospitality, fashion (apparel, jewelry, cosmetics, home furnishings), CPG, automotive
- Appreciate how virtually all products (not just apparel!) are influenced by fashion dynamics
- Learn how ideas spread through a population and identify strategies to increase the likelihood of reaching the mass market
- Identify how technology and our wired culture is changing the ways customers learn about and evaluate brands and stores
Every Program Purchase Includes
- Gear Checks and Final Systems Check: Your Geniecast Experience Specialist will test the audio, video, and internet connection for your primary location as well as the Genie (Presenter).
- Expert Feature Management: Customized features are available to Cast participants per Client specification.
- Live Technical Support: We’re with you every step of the way to ensure a smooth end-to-end Cast experience.